Emerald Ash Borer
Some basic things to handle the Emerald Ash Borer
- Don’t Panic!!!!!
- Properly water your tree at the drip line to help keep the tree from being stressed. This DOES NOT include sprinkler water for your grass. Best ways are to use either a soaker hose or deep root waterer once a month.
- Once a year (primarily in early spring..sometime around Easter) use a tree and shrub drench that will stay in the tree for 1 year. You can also use the injection method that can easily be done by a homeowner. The cost will depend on the size of the tree and will range between $20 to $69 and takes about 15 minutes of time. This is recommended in April to June.
- DON’T REMOVE A HEALTHY TREE and please don’t panic this is a problem that is very manageable.
Basic ways to handle this shiny little bugger
- Use either a grub killer that is chemical or a biologic that works for a year. Products such as Grub Free Zone III (chemical) or Grub Gone (biologic) usually in early spring or you can do it in late July and August.
- If they are on your plants you can grab a bucket of water with dish soap and knock them in (1-3x daily) as systemic products go through the plant for them to ingest or work as they travel up and down in the soil. You can also spray them with products such as Eight, Sevin, or Beetle Gone a couple times a week.